Old 16-05-2008, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
MrMe MrMe is offline

Default Best place to buy ladybugs

On Fri, 16 May 2008 12:37:52 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"Katey Didd" wrote:

"Sam" wrote in message
I would like some ladybugs for my SMALL garden. 9foot by 5 foot. I
have ants, so I assume aphids. Where is the best place online to by a
small qty of them.

Any tips for keeping them around?

Don't waste your money. They will leave your garden in hours.

But they left their eggs. :-) I've had a good population now for
several years. When I dumped my lot, I put them onto some grapvine
leaves that were covered in Aphids.

Feed them and they will at least leave some progeny.

You can also, as I said, purchase lacewing eggs. That way you get the
best predatory stage. The larvae.

Lacewing - Don't the larvae eat azalea leaves ? Something was
devastating our azaleas. When we described the symtoms to
the local aggy extension service they said it sounded like lacewing.
It took forever to spray them away with various pesticide applications.
If you have azaleas around and you enjoy them, stick w/the ladies ...

= Me =