Old 17-05-2008, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Glyphosate

On 16/5/08 22:01, in article , "robert"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

Looks like a white bluebell and smells strongly when crushed. Allium
triquetum I think.
As I said, I'm working from memory here. Very frustrating :-)

Aka Ransoms or wild garlic. Dig it up or spray it seems to be the only way.
I rather like it so when I had it in a previous garden, I always kept some
of it. But it absolutely fills the verges of some of the lanes round here.

I don't think that it will be Ransoms (Allium ursinum) as the flowers
although white are not like those of a blue bell - have a look here
http://www.ukwildflowers.com/Web_pag...um_ramsons.htm

The Ransoms which abound in the adjacent wood and in our front shrub
border (despite annual applications of glyphosate for the last eight
years) do not need crushing to release their 'perfume' it is just
omnipresent. I love wildflowers and try to promote their use in our
garden and, whenever I get the opportunity, elsewhere, but Ransoms most
definitely comes under the heading of invasive.

The probable alternative is Three cornered leek/garlic (A. triquetrum)
as indicated above. A non-native plant which I have noticed is present
in quite large drifts at the sides of a local road but has not yet
reached here.

Well, this is interesting BUT the OP wants to know how to be rid of it. I
don't think he's over concerned about its botanical name! So - how would
you get rid of it?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk