Old 17-05-2008, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Glyphosate

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 16/5/08 22:01, in article , "robert"
| wrote:
|
| The probable alternative is Three cornered leek/garlic (A. triquetrum)
| as indicated above. A non-native plant which I have noticed is present
| in quite large drifts at the sides of a local road but has not yet
| reached here.
|
| Well, this is interesting BUT the OP wants to know how to be rid of it. I
| don't think he's over concerned about its botanical name! So - how would
| you get rid of it?

A quick look through my books indicates that it could also be
crow garlic! Whatever. There is a difference between ramsons
and the others, in that the broader leaves block more light and
rain, but that is all.

As I said, mowing. I have some very invasive lily of the valley
in a bed (I leave them - the other plants can handle it), but it
never invades the lawn because it can't stand being mown. The
garlics are similar. Even bluebells will eventually go from a
mown area.

But it must be close-mown, starting early in the season.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks, Nick. That's a policy that's always worked for me but, like most
things in the garden, it isn't a quick fix.
The fashion now seems to be to let everything get out of hand, then call
Groundforce for a makeover.