Old 17-05-2008, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Glyphosate

In article , VivienB writes:
| On 16 May 2008 09:41:56 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
|
| You probably mean comfrey or alkanet. In my experience, alkanet
| doesn't regrow from from far below ground, so digging it out to
| 4-6" down is successful.
|
| I have had it regrow, having dug much deeper than that.

Are you SURE it came from the deep roots? I thought it happened to
me, so I checked (more than once). No - I had missed (or buried) a
piece of near-surface root fairly close to the surface in every case.

| It so happens someone asked Helen Yemm about this, her response is at:

http://tinyurl.com/3twmqo

That doesn't make it right. I am pretty sure that she, like most
other people who say the same thing, have failed to dig out alkanet,
and have assumed that it regrew drom deep roots - without checking.

Also, she is 'encouraged' to recommend the products sold by the
newspaper's advertisers. The companies complain to the proprietors
if they feel that such writers are pushing alternative solutions
too hard, and the Daily Telegraph does not have a wonderful reputation
in that respect, even by the standards of UK newspapers.

Alkanet is fairly resistant to glyphosate, incidentally. I have
tried that a few times, and find digging much more effective.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.