Old 17-05-2008, 02:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default Newbie: Goldfish pond requirements

wrote:
Hi,

I've been offline for the long weekend, but I've been busy.. I'm now
the proud owner of:

1x Shubunkin
1x Sarassa
0x grid

1x almost empty pond :-)

Both fish are busy hiding away under the stepping stones, but are
otherwise quite happy.

I know what you mean about the pond still looking empty - lol. I now
have 16 small Shubunkins and 6 Golden Orfes and still need to look
closely to see any fish....the Orfes have done a good job of getting the
Shubunkins out a bit more but I still look at the pond sometimes and it
looks totally empty of fish....

In the end, a goldfish-only pond might not be such a bad idea. After
years of caring for "problem" fish such as African rift-lake cichilds
and Discus, it might be quite relaxing to just look at a few dozen
healthy, trouble-free fish without worrying too much about falling PH,
nitrate levels, etc..

I know what you mean about not having to worry too much about
continuously monitoring the water quality - my rift-lake cichlids are
fine as my water suits them perfectly but the reef tanks are a
challenge....I had planned to set up a Discus tank but in the end
decided with all the other fish projects it would be one bit of work too
much so the tank is a tetra tank with bolivian rams for a bit of cichlid
interest....

I'm not convinced that the pond is going to be entirely trouble free but
one great thing I've found with mine is that fish are pretty
self-sufficient for food at the moment, but then mine did run for around
8 months with nothing in it but plants...

Gill

Thanks again for everybody's help.

Best regards,

Frank