Old 18-05-2008, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Phal question?????

Oh, the dreaded *snap* sound! How far down the spike did you cut it off? If
not too far, it may branch for you. If you cut it all the way down, well, it
just might send up another. No way to tell until it does its thing.

As long as it has healthy roots and leaves, all will be well. Next time,
don't be in such a hurry to repot a healthy plant, though, unless the medium
has broken down. If you have aerial roots (out of the pot and growing all
over the place) just be sure to water them thoroughly when you soak the
plant.

Diana

"Faz" wrote in message
Today, I was repoting my Phal which had one stock with about 4 flowers on
it and I accidentally broke the flower spike. I was repotting because it
came in a 3" pot and there was more root outside the pot than in it. The
roots and leaves look healthy so I snipped off (shudder) the flower spike
as it was bent and broken and laying on the table. Will this orchid still
grow more spikes with flowers if I treat it with kid gloves? Is there
anything I should do special for it?

Thanks...Chuck.