Old 18-05-2008, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default compost

On May 18, 6:28*am, Chrissy wrote:
I have discovered there are ants in my compost bin which surprised me
because I thought the temperature would get too high. I have a massive
compost heap at the bottom of the garden but this is just one of those
plastic bin things.
I've also been informed that someone put any killer powder in there a
few months ago. So, 2 questions I'd love answers to, why are there
ants, I've never had a compost before where I could see 'creepy
crawlies' in it & secondly, is the compost safe to put on my herb
garden, since it's had poison in it.

I've been trying to grow organic herbs but feel this ant-killer powder
has compromised that.

I'd be grateful fo rany help with this,
Chrissy

Hi Chrissy: does it not seem ironic that you are keen on "organic"
herbs and worried about ants? The ants are harmless but the antkiller
will technicaly make yer organic herbs not organic if you use it.
Just dump the current compost somewhere harmless (use it as a mulch or
dig it in where you do not mind if it is organic or not). Ants are
common in compost. If the heap stays put for long, they often build
nests in them. Putting in any killer is likely to kill all manner of
other insects that help the compost heap to function well. An active
compost heap will have tons of creepy crawlies (worms are the most
useful).

Des