Old 18-05-2008, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Flymo Power Trim 700

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:
| "Frederick Williams" wrote...
|
| Is the Flymo Power Trim 700 any good? Are any Strimmer-type tools any
| good? If any are, what would you recommend?
|
| Personally I wouldn't go for electric garden tools if I could avoid it. Self
| powered ones, although dearer, are so much easier to handle, more powerful,
| and go places the electric ones can't.

By which you mean internal combustion. There are also battery
operated garden tools, most of which are complete disasters.

They are NOT easier to handle! That is a property of their design,
the use to which they are put, and the combination. Under some
circumstances, they can be easier to handle - under others, they
are right b*gg*rs to handle.

Petrol ones need a HELL of a lot more attention - not just all the
hassle of regular maintenance, but the fiddling about. The cheaper
ones are mostly unreliable, and the more expensive ones tend to
be heavy and are often poorly suited to small or fiddly areas. For
those, electric ones are generally much better.

I wouldn't touch petrol for any garden of below 1,000 square yards,
and it doesn't become a definite win until they exceed about 5,000
square yards.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.