Old 05-04-2003, 10:44 PM
CJ

Default Large pond revival

We have a pond about 80 feet long by 25 feet wide. Fed by rainwater run-off
from the fields above it and probably excavated between four and five
hundred years ago as a water supply (and fish source?) for our house, it was
in a bad way when we moved in - totally masked from sunlight by trees and
bushes. We've cleared all that away, but the bottom is thick with leaves and
sludge. We are putting in oxygenating plants, etc, though it would be
prohibitively expensive to plant enough in one go to conquer the damage of
years. We don't intend to keep fish in it (unlike its builders) but would
love to see frogs (no spawn this season) and newts as soon as possible.
Mallard ducks and Moorhens have already visited often, but the stench of
ammonia and methane when raking out debris from the margins isn't pleasant.

Does anyone have any suggestions to accelerate the process of restoration?

Thanks,

Chris Lovett