Old 18-05-2008, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Name that grape ( ? )

"The Cook" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 May 2008 09:22:52 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
MrMe wrote:

I have a grape vine and do not know what type it is. A potted
plant was given to me 5 years ago. It thrived and does well here
in Sandhills section of North Carolina. The vine bears white grapes
( green up until ripening at which time it takes on a golden blush ).
At this time (18 May 08 ) it is slam loaded with clusters of 1/4 inch
sized grapes. They ripen early, some time between late July into
early August. They ripen medium size grapes - very sweet. The
vines is very prolific, and the year before last produced a nice
fruity wine. Last year it got hit by severe frost when the new
growth was forming ( 3 - 4 inch long ) and I thought it would die,
but it did recouperate as soon as things warmed up

Not sure what else to say. If my scanner was working I'd scan a
leaf for upload. I do not have a digital camera so that is out.
Anybody have any ideas ? The fellow who gave me the plant has
no idea what variety.

TIA

= Me =

You need an Ag Extension office. To identify a grape you need to see
its' leaf, seed, and fruit cluster.

Sounds sorta like a scuppernong to me, but find your location here and
get an expert to tell you.
http://www.ag.ncat.edu/extension/locations.htm

Here are some pictures.
http://www.ag.ncat.edu/extension/locations.htm