Old 19-05-2008, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default taxes and the best place to vegetable garden?

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

Property taxes are based on: value of your property per the county tax
assessor, not the size of the lot or the square footage of the home.

Um, babe, yes they do! When I had the addition built on, they tried to
give me a seriously over-rated tax increase! I objected as it's just a
bloody sun porch. Got it reduced by around $300.00. Size and location
of the lot, plus buildings and land improvements such as wells and
outbuildings, etc.

Good for you. But, that doesn't mean the added square footage is the
factor.

You wish!
They tried to raise my taxes on me when I built the sun porch!
I went down and disputed it, telling them it was only a bloody PORCH
and not an addition to the house.

I won. ;-)

No, its what they value your property at, irregardless square
footage. That is, the improvement adding to your property value,
irregardless the square footage added, is the factor. Contesting their
assessment is always a good idea if it increases as a result of some
improvement.

They told me they made the raise based on the additional square foot
value. I'll let you take it up with my local tax ass-essor. g

You forgot views. A view of the surrounding area from your property is
also
taxable. No, I'm not kidding.

I ain't got no view. :-(
Just the street and neighbors yards, thankfully now blocked on two sides
by privacy fencing. The world can see IN to my front yard.

Yes,
both play in determining that. So does the prevailing values of the
properties in your vicinity. The tax percentage times the estimated
property value equals the annual tax burden. I think you will find
that
if
you can find an equally valued home/property in Austin/San Antonio,
there
would be little difference in the tax burden depending on the school
district.

I have. San Antonio is MUCH higher...

School district?

Hays county. Can't recall the SA county at the moment.
But, even Comal charges more.

I physically go to the local bank and have them transfer my checking
account
monies to my savings account every month for property taxes and annual
auto
insurance premium. When either come due, I transfer the monies back
and
write the appropriate check.

It's less hassle for me to do an auto-debit like I do for my morgage
and
enter it in the checkbook accordingly. I have a separate "checkbook"
draw from the money market (savings) account when I need to draw on it.
I can also phone call to have money transferred back into checking, but
it's not necessary.

I used to do the transfer at the bank's ATM.
But, I ran into something unusual that the bank clerk and customer
service
could not explain. They said the bank would hold funds if my total
debits
exceeded 1000 dollars. Together with my transfer and debits, it did
exceed
that. They said an internal transfer electronically from the bank ATM
my
savings account should not be a factor. They could not explain it.
My
debit card was refused that day at the local dollar store for 9 bucks
worth
of dog food. Even though my checking account had over 2000 dollars in
it.
So, the bank personnel said to come in the bank and let them do the
checking
to savings transfer.
--
Dave

I'd rather not have to go there in person. My schedule is a bit wierd
because I work night shifts...

I could do the transfers thru paypal or on line banking, but I don't
like putting my banking info. on the internet.

The phone calls work fine. :-)
As do the scheduled auto-debits.

I use Bank of America.

With the savings account checks, I really don't have to do transfers to
checking from savings, but I've currently misplaced the book. :-P
-

I refuse, and continue to refuse to use any "online" form of banking. I
do
continue to use a personal computer without internet access to keep track
of
my banking/investments.

It works. :-)
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein

The "view" that I was referring is for instance a hilltop or near hilltop
home with view of countryside. Not related directly to you.

The tax assessor's rep at the contested property tax says their basis is the
added square footage. That's their basis for the increase. If they had
been successful, the value of the property would have gone up as a result.
And, as a result, so would your taxes. The basis for taxing the property,
the value would have increased. That is my point. Again, I'm glad you were
successful in contesting their proposed property value increase.

Back to the view thing. They showed a proposed tax increase on my property
due to what they thought was a view in the preliminary tax papers.
Apparently, they "chickened out" as it did not show in my actual property
tax breakdown. I don't really have any real view of the countryside due to
the trees. Have to go up to the street to see that. I can see Austin and
New Braunfels/San Antonio lighting the sky on most nights. Directly
overhead, dark and good night sky/stars.
--
Dave

Parkinson's disease, not easy to define.
Much less cure.