Old 19-05-2008, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default What plant is invading me ?

In article ,
Martin writes:

| | The construction and use of classification keys, based on an almost
| | arbitrary selection of criteria, has been well-understood for many
| | decades, and there were good programs to handle them in the 1960s.
| | Why aren't there now? I could easily write one, if I could get
| | access to the data in machine-readable form.
| |
| | You'll be recommending that we all install a copy of Oracle spit next.
|
| Yes, I always recommend people to use a JCB to dig their vegetable
| patch.
|
| The PC version that used to be given away 15 years ago, would do the job.
| It was worth every cent. ) Scott/Tiger where are you?

Or Rothamsted's GENKEY (a Fortran version dating from the 1960s that
needed something like 32K, if I recall). As I said, it wouldn't
take me long to write one - probably less time than searching for
the code of one.

The problem is getting the data - and, worse, in persuading 'data
owners' that such a thing is worth doing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.