Old 20-05-2008, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
none none is offline

Default Groundhogs

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
none ""Mark\"@(none)" wrote:

Natural predators always work better than traps and poison IME.

I also kept the occasional snake as a pet. I fed them using a baited
repeater mouse trap...

That sounds like an excellent idea!
I'd been considering using a "Rodenator" (As seen on YouTube).

I'll have to look at that just for grins!

I've seen only one very small snake since moving to Kennewick, WA.
It was coiled up on the hallway carpet, in front of a restroom at work.

I'll assume that means there are snakes outside the building as well,
since most snakes aren't civilized enough to come indoors and wait in
line to use the toilet... (grin)

Considering the size and ferocity of our gophers, I'd better choose only
large snakes. Perhaps I should read up on them first, as I know only
"Stay away from snakes with rattles".

It sure won't hurt. ;-) Trick is to introduce predators, and convince
your neighbors not to kill them.

Honestly, if you do study up on Herpetology, you will find that America
has very few poisonous reptiles. Learn to recognize those few and the
rest are safe.

I'll get around to it - in my own rather disorganized manner!
Update: The gophers devoured my tomato plants, the broccoli, and
unexpectedly... the pimiento pepper plant. Perhaps I should have planted
habenero!? Maybe horseradish? These gophers are out of control - A
blackbird made the sad mistake of pecking at a trap, and hopefully left
this world without suffering... And a gopher dragged its carcass, still
in the trap, halfway down a gopher hole to gnaw upon it.
Only halfway, because the trap was too wide to fit down the hole.
Mutant, carnivorous, radioactive gophers! Run! Run for your lives!