Old 20-05-2008, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Pieris

On May 19, 10:56*am, "Cat(h)" wrote:
I have two pieris in pots - they were dug out of the garden a couple
of years ago when I realise they needed ericaceous compost and were
basically languishing sadly in my border, looking burned up and going
nowhere. *They are now quite healthy and lush, but potbound. *I could
of course put them into bigger pots. *But within two years, I'd need
bigger pots again - and the pots they're in already are not exactly
tiny. *Also, I find that if I go away at all during the summer, they
get terribly thirsty.
Would it be a viable option to dig a very large hole in my border,
much bigger than the current rootball, fill it with ericaceous compost
and plant my pieris therein? *Would the ph of the surrounding soil
leach into the ericaceous one over time, and damage my pieris? *Or
would I need to put some kind of barrier - heavy polythene, or such -
to avoid this? *Has anyone done something like this to include pieris
into an otherwise unsuitable garden?
Your views and advice would be much appreciated.

Cat(h)

Thanks to all who have responded. I will chance replanting them in
the border with a good bank of ericaceous compost, and give them some
appropriate feed to get them settled. I presume this is as good a
time as any? Or would folks here recommend waiting till it gets a bit
warmer? (It has been as low as 4 or 5 degrees at night in the last
couple of nights, and barely 13 to 15 degrees during the day, despite
the lovely sunshine).

Cat(h)