Old 21-05-2008, 02:58 AM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] View Post
On Tue, 20 May 2008 15:57:27 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Davy wrote:
Last autumn I sowed some british bluebell seeds and now
something has come up and I don't know if they are
bluebells.

The seedlings I see have grass-like leaves erupting
fountain-like from a central stem. I book I have says the
seedlings look like chives - which I understand to mean
have individual round stems.

Can anyone help?

ISTR the very first seed leaf is round like chives, but the true leaves
quickly follow and it soon looks like a scale model of the adult. Quite
a lot of monocots look like this as a seedling so it isn't distinctive.

A picture would resolve any ambiguities. If the leaves all come from the
ground then I'd say it was probably a bluebell. If they are in rosettes
around a central stem then I have not idea what it is.

I've got a packet of bluebell seeds that I bought in March. Other then what is
recommended on the packet, is there any reason why I have to wait until autumn
to sow them?
--

Martin
Since the bluebells are coming into seed now and presumably would die back to the ground in early June, spreading their seed then, I can't see why you cannot sow them at that time.