Old 20-05-2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
meatnub meatnub is offline

Default New to gardening

On May 20, 1:31*pm, Bill wrote:
In article
,

*meatnub wrote:
Hello,

My wife and I are in our mid-thirties and never gardened. We have a 1
year old and are now starting to eat MORE healthy by learning to cook
from scratch (buying cook books, will be grinding our own meat from
butcher soon, things like that). So right now I'm focusing on this
cooking business ;-)

I'm toying with the idea of gardening and just found out about Square
Foot Gardening.

I just want to be able to plant some.. *oh... tomatoes... cucumbers...
maybe some herbs.. just to give this gardening thing a shot.

We both work full time 5 days a week. We live in an end rowhome with
some trees at the further end of our yard, so i'm not sure if we get
6-8 hours of sun at wherever on the property, i guess i'll have to pay
attention to that.

But would anyone recommend Square Foot Gardening for a complete newbie
like me?

Not sure if I have time to devote to gardening this year (not sure how
much time during the week/weekend you need) but just trying to get a
grasp on this and see if it's something I should embark on this year
or next with everything else going on in our lives.

Thanks!
Paul

*What does your dad do? *Same for grand Dad? *If *you are on your own
their mistakes will not matter. *I'd look at a local community college
catalogue after looking about the neighborhood for examples of gardening
progress.
* It helps us if you ID your general area.
* Everything else going on indicates that maybe a reduction of things to
do is in order. *Two working and *a new child is pretty tough especially
if extended family is far away. Perhaps reading about garden stuff is
cool meanwhile get a compost bin goin.

*Best!!!

*Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place ..http://www.petersvalley.org/http://w...ingseeds.com/- Hide quoted text -

My father was not a gardener, nor my mother, though she did cook. BTW
I live in SouthEastern Pennsylvania, USA.

Yeah, extended family is not close so it's just me and the wife and
our son. I probably am getting in over my head thinking about
gardening right now, but just wanted to get an idea of what people
think about this Square Foot Gardening for a complete beginner like
me. I'll continue reading I guess.