Old 20-05-2008, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kate Kate is offline

Default Cattleya doesn`t smell!

When I bought the plant last year (from a garden centre, so variety
unknown) its flowers were very sweetly scented. To my delight, I have
managed to flower it again, and the first two flowers have just opened,
but they have no scent. Shouldn`t they smell immediately on opening? I
noticed the same with a zygopetalum : scented when I bought it, but not
any more. Maybe it`s me, although my husband cannot smell them either.

Incidentally, when the flower spikes were just beginning to show at the
top of the canes (pseudobulbs?) on the cattleya, they were green. Then
they turned brown and I thought that they had rotted. I was going to
pull them out with tweezers, in case they caused the canes to rot, but,
fortunately, I didn`t do it straightaway, because the brown sheaths
split and the buds appeared. Didn`t know that. Do now!

Thanks
Kate