Old 21-05-2008, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Davy[_2_] Davy[_2_] is offline

Default What do bluebell seedlings look like?

Martin wrote in
:
If the leaves all come from
the ground then I'd say it was probably a bluebell. If

they are in
rosettes around a central stem then I have not idea what

it is.

The leaves don't come from the ground - more grass-like -
narrow unstalked leaves arranged around a very short
central stem - fountain-like. I must try to get a photo.

I've got a packet of bluebell seeds that I bought in

March. Other then
what is recommended on the packet, is there any reason

why I have to
wait until autumn to sow them?

Bluebell seeds need to be stratified - ie exposed to
frost. So if planted now they would be dormant until a
winter frost wakes them up and would probably sprout next
spring. But you might lose a lot in the meantime.
Some people cheat by putting the seeds in the fridge for a
weak.
Davy