Old 21-05-2008, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What do bluebell seedlings look like?

On May 20, 2:34 pm, Davy wrote:
Last autumn I sowed some british bluebell seeds and now
something has come up and I don't know if they are
bluebells.

The seedlings I see have grass-like leaves erupting
fountain-like from a central stem. I book I have says the
seedlings look like chives - which I understand to mean
have individual round stems.

Can anyone help?

Davy

They look exactly like grass that has just germinated from seed and
can easily be mistaken for weeds, they are very fine. I was sent a
packet of bluebell seeds saved from their own plants and I almost
weedkilled them until I remember that the person who sent them to me
had warned me not to mistake them for weeds. Was it Janet Tweedy or
Susie who sent them to me? Apologies for not remembering :-)

Judith