Old 06-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Hussein M.

Default Ground elder & plants to grow with it

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 09:19:28 GMT, Martin Brown
wrotc:

This is why the little pink one is called field bindweed and the large
white one hedge bindweed - the latter will not survive long in fields.

Both would be nice plants if they weren't invasive. I grow their more
colourful tropical cousins intentionally.

I think it was last year that I picked up from the nearby Victorian
Gardens (honesty box set-up) a couple of plants tagged in their
whimsical way "blue convolvulus". Having had past battles with hedge
bindweed (and won), I was a little nervous of introducing another
convolvulus. However so far it seems very well behaved, tidy and the
above ground foliage and flowers seems to do the sprawling and the
roots not so much. I know exactly where they are and they get a degree
of attentiveness because the flowers are so pretty. Even so I will
probably remove any seedlings which emerge in their vicinity looking
like convolvulus. I suppose I should try and identify it more
precisely at some point.

Just had a go. They could be mauritanicus or althaeoides. I won't
know for sure until it flowers again.

On the subject of pretty little plants I am currently marvelling at
a recently purchased Anemone apenina albiflora. I have also
transferred some A. nemorosa seeds out of the deep freeze and into the
cold frame. Can it be invasive?

Hussein
Grow a little garden