Old 21-05-2008, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline[_2_] Pennyaline[_2_] is offline

Default Need recommendations for a weed-puller

Persephone wrote:
On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:28:04 -0500, Newbie wrote:

Please recommend a weed-puller for stand up use by a person who has
back problems so can't work in bending posture.

I totally sympathize, having back problems myself, but can't image a
standup weed puller being practical. If there is one, congrats!

I solve the problem by kneeling. If there's quite a patch to do, I
may even lie down, favoring my (car accident damage) hand, and weed
with the other.

Hope you don't also have kneeling problems...just sharing my
experience.

No one should bend over to pull weeds. It should be done kneeling. I've
found that one of those raised kneeler benches works well. The grips on
each side help to control the velocity of descent and take a lot of
strain off the back -- and give you something to push off against when
returning to standing position --, and the kneeling surface is (for me)
much more comfortable than kneeling directly on the ground or even one
of those pad jobbies.

Garden centers sell them. You can also find them on the internet. But I
got mine at Target:

http://tinyurl.com/5vlznm