Old 22-05-2008, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Tomato supports

In article 1K%Yj.4293$Uf1.1179@trndny08,
"debnchas" wrote:

"Ignoramus4856" wrote in message
Whenever we plant tomatoes, they grow very big, about 7-8 feet tall
and yield a lot of tomatoes. I am not complaining. (we use chicken
manure and sometimes fertilizer).

But, my question is what do people use that is cheap and sturdy and
can support such a big tomato plant.
--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their

inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

A couple of years ago someone gave me a bunch of those tomato cages so I
tried them. I will never use them again except possibly for cherry tomatoes.
A heavy period of rain softened the ground so much they fell over. Also I
had a bunch of fruits that got severely bruised when they grew up against
the wire of the cages. I am back to using cheap 1x2 lumber usually called
furring (sp?) strips. The 8 foot lengths usually last at least 2 or 3 years;
by then they might be getting a little short for tomatoes but they come in
handy for a lot of different things around the garden. I guess if I was
doing a LOT of tomatoes I might try to devise something more permanent.
Chas

Hmmmm...

I use the cages for cherry tomatoes and steel ladders for the beefsteaks.

You can make your own steel ladders (cheap, but a pain) or buy them (not
cheap and easy) but the they last a very long time.

http://www.gardeners.com/Ladders%20o...efault,pg.html

I have 10 ladders and 4 cages for tomatoes. I use ladders for cucumbers,
squash vines and eggplants also. Even with ladders I still use plant
ties to help tie plants to the ladders. In the past the thin wire cages
tend to slice the vines during strong winds.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.