Old 22-05-2008, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Barbecue type?

On 2008-05-22 14:20:49 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
said:

"adm" wrote in message

I have turned out recipes on a Weber that you find almost impossible on
most other types - including bread, pizza, smoked roast turkey,
multi-award winning ribs and..........baked alaska.

I've done all of those and a lot more on our gas barbecue.

Oh come on.....I don't believe you! I thought I was the only person crazy
enough to try baked Alaska on a barbecue.

Nope. I've also made apple meringue pie (didn't have lemons), light sponge
cakes, rich fruit cakes, wonderful huge game pies, lots of bread ... I only
made Baked Alaska because I was challenged. I don't like commercial
ice-cream :-) I've never made it in a domestic oven though!

Charcoal takes longer to get hot and the heat can be regulated but not as
swiftly as the gas one.

Depends how much of a hurry you're in :-)

I try to make sure that cooking on the Weber is at least a three beer
affair. There's no point hurrying these things!

Yebbut we drink wine, not beer. Some wag (a son) called it fall-down grape
juice last time we cooked over charcoal for him.

He favours a chimonea(sp?) and fuels it with sticks he picks up - or rather
he gets his girls to pick up from the garden. While he drinks beer. And
wine. And vodka. And he has the cheek to joke about our consumption!

Mary