Old 22-05-2008, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Barbecue type?

On May 22, 4:02 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"adm" wrote in message

On 2008-05-22 14:20:49 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
said:

"adm" wrote in message

I have turned out recipes on a Weber that you find almost impossible on
most other types - including bread, pizza, smoked roast turkey,
multi-award winning ribs and..........baked alaska.

I've done all of those and a lot more on our gas barbecue.

Oh come on.....I don't believe you! I thought I was the only person crazy
enough to try baked Alaska on a barbecue.

Nope. I've also made apple meringue pie (didn't have lemons), light sponge
cakes, rich fruit cakes, wonderful huge game pies, lots of bread ... I only
made Baked Alaska because I was challenged. I don't like commercial
ice-cream :-) I've never made it in a domestic oven though!

Charcoal takes longer to get hot and the heat can be regulated but not as
swiftly as the gas one.

Depends how much of a hurry you're in :-)

I try to make sure that cooking on the Weber is at least a three beer
affair. There's no point hurrying these things!

Yebbut we drink wine, not beer. Some wag (a son) called it fall-down grape
juice last time we cooked over charcoal for him.

He favours a chimonea(sp?) and fuels it with sticks he picks up - or rather
he gets his girls to pick up from the garden. While he drinks beer. And
wine. And vodka. And he has the cheek to joke about our consumption!

Mary

LOL My girls have told me that I have got to be very careful in Dubai
next week as women showing even a little sign of being a little
inebriated will be arrested. They said a glass a night would be o.k.
I told them I'm not going to eat dinner with just one glass of wine.
They are muttering together about "taking care of Mummy" - I'll give
them take care indeed :-

Judith