Old 22-05-2008, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

Default Barbecue type?

On 2008-05-22 13:05:54 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

I know not strictly gardening but loosely relevant.
Just want to know recommendations for gas or charcoal (British charcoal
of course) and any features as a must have/
Family want a medium sized one to enjoy the hot weather we'll no doubt
be suffering this year. New daughter in law is Texan so she is
expecting to at least try some steaks!! Hopefully living in Aylesbury
she'll not expect too much by the time we get one and arrange some sort
of al fresco meal.
It usually involves me cooking but spotting weeds etc and wandering
around tidying up whilst everyone else eats

It looks like a charcoal Weber is the runaway favourite, with a
possible side bet on the Cobb!

By the way, my tip for steaks is inch+ thick rib-eyes from a good
butcher, salt, pepper and a smidge of EVOO both sides, Weber grill with
the charcoal at one side as hot, hot, hot as possible, give the steaks
one to one and a half minutes each side over the hot coals to sear,
then move the steaks to the side with no charcoal and put the lid on
(all vents wide open). Leave for three minutes, then plate and leave to
rest for about five minutes before eating.