Old 22-05-2008, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Chelsea broadcasts

On Thu, 22 May 2008 12:56:53 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Am i just miserable beggar from Amersham or is the 2008 "media female
personality" taking us round Chelsea grating on anyone else's' nerves?

delurk

Nicki Chapman is her name and yes I find her somewhat irritating. I saw
here trying to do some filming but I think the sunlight was mucking up
the shot the Beeb were trying to get.

i don't know who she is, some afternoon TV presenter, certainly not a
gardener of the keen kind and too easily made to do 'media' stuff such
as pace up and down (cue pacing music) waiting for the girls who give
out the cards, then running behind them giving girlish shouts of alarm
as they hurry on. Probably trying to get rid of her i should think!.

I almost walked in to the "medal girls" today as I exited the Floristry
exhibition. That was very interesting and a pleasing interlude from the
throng outside.

Sorry don't think she's the right personality/media presenter for the
programme, she even asked one entrant who had just received a bronze for
goodness sake, if he was pleased!! Not sure if the answer wasn't edited
a bit

Why not Penelope Keith or any other 'personality' gardener if that's
what is needed?

I think they need to change the focus of the show for a personality
gardener to work as lead presenter.

I saw Mr Titchmarsh today - he was chatting away to the public and
signing autographs. This was being filmed as well but people just wanted
to talk to him and he seemed happy to do so. I know people will say "he
has to do that if the cameras are rolling" but I think he genuinely
likes chatting to other gardeners. He did appear to be going grey around
the edges though!

I saw him last year, just after he'd done a broadcast, being led away by
his "minder" and he looked fed up and possibly wishing he could just
look at the plants or else just switch off.

Think Andy Sturgeon comes over very self effacing and still pleased to
get a medal, but weird fence/hoops. Glad not to see the dreaded Dermuid.

I wasn't very impressed by the Diarmaid garden to be honest nor the
other "celeb" garden - Rachel de Thame. The latter did have big crowds
every time I went past but no sign of the lady herself.

Did anyone go and were the gardens as good or bad as they appear?

I went today and got there reasonably early. I had mixed feelings about
many of the gardens. Television really doesn't convey the right
impression. I liked the BUPA garden, that Chinese one with the wooden
structure - much better than on the telly, I wasn't so struck on the
Laurent Perrier (best in show) but did like Andy Sturgeon's garden.
There is much more to it in terms of levels, the water and the planting.
I loved the Japanese urban garden - the one with the moss - as it was
exquisite and beautifully detailed. The best in show of the urban
gardens was a delight too - great plants, design and really what I'd
love to come home to. The australian (Flemings) garden was also not bad
but it was more structural than plant orientated.

The courtyard gardens were a bit variable for me but the Shetland garden
and the best in show with the children's veg garden were both good -
perhaps I just like gardens with a combination of flowers and veg?!

The Great Pavilion was excellent and seemed better managed this year -
no one way system and I only encountered one jam. There were many
excellent stands here - the Alpine Society, the NFU stand, Hilliers,
Knoll Gardens, Kelways etc. I happen to like grasses and perennial
plants so I guess those stands are the ones I prefer. The big floral
displays of lillies, chrysanthemums, narcissi etc were also excellent.

I felt the show was better this year than last although I wasn't
completely convinced about the "green theme" this year. I did hear some
grumbles from other people who I think prefer to see lots of flowers in
gardens. Having done a lot of NGS garden visiting recently there are
some of those gardens that I think would transplant to Chelsea very well
- some are certainly more inspirational than the show gardens.

Afraid Mrs Lennox-Boyd is going to find the immaculate pond she built
needs to be cleared every day or it will get weed and floaty bits of
rubbish under those trees every few seconds. It will never look
immaculate after the first ten minutes! In our garden there would also
be blown in plastic pots, the wrapper from some chocolate, leaves, the
dogs ball would land in it and heavens know what other rubbish and
especially duck weed!!

True but the planting at the rear of the garden was really good with
some good contrasts. Having viewed from different angles I think I got
"the point" of the garden more than I had from seeing it on the box.

Did like that huge stone ball in the sensory/dementia garden, very
tactile and unusually acceptable, don't know why.

That was a good garden and the planting was great from all angles. The
people explaining what it meant for the people who will use it - it'll
be moved after the show to a nearby care facility - were very clear and
helpful.

The digital "extra broadcasts" in the Great Pavilion are much better
than the normal shows. I've only recorded the Carol Klein / Chris
Beardshaw ones which have focused on the plants and some practical but
basic tips about propagation, planting and pruning.

Nobody commenting?

yes but relurking
--
Paul C