Old 23-05-2008, 04:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pond Addict Pond Addict is offline

Default URGENT - Another sick fish

I've posted some more pictures of this fish at:

http://homepage.mac.com/pondstuff/PhotoAlbum1.html
(See the 5/22/08 images.)

Unfortunately, I can't take any more pictures because my office
roommate has gone...

....back to the pond!

After a month in my tank, an initial salt dip, wound cleaning, 3
treatments of Tricide-Neo, daily(!) water changes, many filter
cleanings, salt level maintenance, and a whole lot of attention to
every little detail I could think of, the fish is now healthy enough
that I felt she could go back to the pond. During her stay, I made a
new fish-safe bottom drain cover that's been working great, and the
pond is now clearer than it's ever been. It will be a great place for
the fish to continue healing.

So, the final details: The torn fin fused back together. The eye
cleared and the bubble went away (when it started going away, 90% of
it happened in about 4 days). The main wound is still there, but it's
clean, it's shrinking and healing well, and there are new layers of
skin covering it. At this point I believe that the fish will be best
off healing on its own in the pond rather than in my 45 gallon tank.

I really want to thank everyone again, and especially Jan, for all the
help with this. I've learned so much during this adventure.

For the first week, I'd wake up each day and be thrilled that the fish
was still alive. To see its health progress over the weeks and finally
be returning it to the pond (in so much better shape) is a GREAT
feeling.

: D

Thanks.

Dave