Old 23-05-2008, 12:57 PM
agentelrond agentelrond is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H. Eastburn View Post
Hi Emma -

Sorry for the delay and such - there have been a lot of spamming
going on by an outsider. I think most people are exhausted with it.

We have no issue on spelling - world wide English is a bit different.
Local spell checker enabled helps.

Roses in pots. I'd hope you have a Crystal palace behind your main building,
but few of us are opulent like that!

If you have a basement or like area - wintering there would be good.

Some roses take cold nicely but not ice or snow. So the climate and rose
is important.

We on this side of the pond often have miniatures growing in the home.
You might consider that if you live in a skyscraper building and have
them out on the deck. Trim back and bring in. Less light to support
a large plant.

Some with roses outdoors heap leaves over the roses and before doing
that pack a hill abound the base with bark rich soil for insulation.
That is for cold snaps, ice and snow.

I live in the sub tropical (almost) area It has been 97 degrees already
today.

In one apartment we lived in years ago, we were two of us and two large
bathrooms. One bathroom was for our wintering plants and sometimes the young
sprouts of garden plants got a fog bath from the shower with no one there. Just
to fill the room with steam. [rain forest mode]

In doors can be tough on outdoor plants. Air conditioned spaces dry out plants.

Hope additional inputs come in from the UK or Canada having more your
weather type.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

agentelrond wrote:[color=blue][i]
hi there i am new to the forum and growing roses. i am wondering how to
help the survive the british winter as i am growing them in pots.

all help would be appreciated

sorry for any spelling mistakes

Emma
-x-
thanx could i put them in my garden shed?