Old 23-05-2008, 11:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Jeffrey L. Kline Jeffrey L. Kline is offline

Default new to growing roses

I've had pretty good luck growing roses in pots here in Michigan, which has
at least as cold (lows around -20C) and snowy winters as most of the UK. I
put mine in an unheated building (shed, car park, etc) and give them a drink
of water about once a month. I leave them out side until the first really
hard frost (to insure they've gone to sleep) and bring them out when the
night time temp is generally above 0C.

Feeding potted roses can be a little tricky. I use the liquid stuff, as it
is easier to control. As a result, I feed them more often, say ever 2 - 4
weeks.

I'm told its a good idea to change out the dirt every couple of years,
although I've yet to do that to mine. I grow mine in 5 gallon (approx 20
liter) containers, and they seem very happy.

Good luck,
Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5
(No blooms yet, but a fair amount of budding going on here)

"agentelrond" wrote in message

hi there i am new to the forum and growing roses. i am wondering how to
help the survive the british winter as i am growing them in pots.

all help would be appreciated

sorry for any spelling mistakes

Emma
-x-