Old 23-05-2008, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Seeds and their sow by dates

In article ,
"R.A.Omond" writes:
| I recently found an old packet of Mr Fothergill's
| Cayenne Pepper seeds marked as "Packed in July 2004",
| "Sow by 2006". Though, what the heck... sow them
| anyway (4th May).
|
| Lo and behold, there seems to be plenty of them
| sprouting :-)
|
| Do I risk death if I continue ? ;-)

Nah - they're probably a variety for wimps, anyway :-) I am a bit
annoyed that my Jamaican Red Hot haven't germinated properly, though
my Bird's Eye have done OK :-)

More seriously, most seeds keep for some years if kept dry, and some
keep for decades. If they are kept very dry (and preferably cold),
many seeds will keep indefinitely (which is NOT the same as forever!)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.