Old 24-05-2008, 05:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Young Steve Young is offline

Default wheat berries

"Billy" wrote

Anybody have any experience making bread from wheat berries
(ground or unground) with little if any processed (store bought)
flour? Trying to unplug from processed wheat. Yeah, Michael Pollan
is rummaging around in my head again.

I do, with 100% hard red and/or hard white wheat berries, fine ground to a
flour in a Nutrimill.

As a green flour it took nearly a hundred loaves of trial and error tweaking
before I could finally say I have it right, at least for today The point
being that using regular 'whole wheat' recipes and merely substituting the
white flour with 'green' whole ground wheat flour will leave you
disappointed.

Also, fresh ground whole wheat makes a bread different from any you have
ever tasted. (It's a hardy, robust flavor to say the least). I had never
tasted that before making my own. This makes me doubt whether one can
actually buy such a finished product in the retail market.

I'll be happy to take a shot at any specific questions.

Steve Young