Old 24-05-2008, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\)[_173_] Robert \(Plymouth\)[_173_] is offline

Default Hawthorne, holly or something else?

"LittleSue" wrote in message

Hello
I have a north-facing garden in suburban Manchester. Although
north-facing, behind the back fence is the end of a cul-de-sac rather
than another house.

I want to plant prickly/defensive shrubs against the back fence (i.e.
south-facing) and hawthorne or holly have been suggested.

The fence gets plenty of sun in late spring/summer, but in winter it
gets much less light, especially the western end. This confuses me
when looking at suitable plants, with regard to comments about full
sun/partial sun/shade.

Would hawthorne or holly be most suitable in this situation? I tend to
lean towards hawthorne, mainly because I've had Holly elsewhere which
has been extremely dark green, concerned this might make the garden too
dark in winter (not that I see the garden in daylight much in winter
anwyay!) Suggestions for varieties welcome, pref pink/red flowers for
hawthorne.

Thanks in advance
Sue

I would suggest Berberis as there are so many different types and they are
very prickly, some even like razors and they are deciduous so you could
underplant with bulbs for the winter/spring

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com