Old 24-05-2008, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Hawthorne, holly or something else?

In article ,
"Robert \(Plymouth\)" writes:
| "LittleSue" wrote in message
|
| I want to plant prickly/defensive shrubs against the back fence (i.e.
| south-facing) and hawthorne or holly have been suggested.
|
| The fence gets plenty of sun in late spring/summer, but in winter it
| gets much less light, especially the western end. This confuses me
| when looking at suitable plants, with regard to comments about full
| sun/partial sun/shade.
|
| I would suggest Berberis as there are so many different types and they are
| very prickly, some even like razors and they are deciduous so you could
| underplant with bulbs for the winter/spring

Actually, many are evergreen and quite a few are only mildly prickly.
But some are as you say. Berberis vulgaris has needle-shaped spines
1+" long and is truly vicious. You would have to select a species
that didn't need full sun all year.

Pyracantha would also be good, as would some roses, a few blackberries,
and quite a few other plants I can't think of now. The last would
give fruit as well! All of hawthorn, holly and these will grow in
that amount of sun, quite happily.

There could also be a mixture, and roses/blackberries will grow through
other plants.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.