Old 24-05-2008, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek[_4_] Derek[_4_] is offline

Default Hawthorne, holly or something else?

"LittleSue" wrote in message

Hello
I have a north-facing garden in suburban Manchester. Although
north-facing, behind the back fence is the end of a cul-de-sac rather
than another house.

I want to plant prickly/defensive shrubs against the back fence (i.e.
south-facing) and hawthorne or holly have been suggested.

The fence gets plenty of sun in late spring/summer, but in winter it
gets much less light, especially the western end. This confuses me
when looking at suitable plants, with regard to comments about full
sun/partial sun/shade.

Would hawthorne or holly be most suitable in this situation? I tend to
lean towards hawthorne, mainly because I've had Holly elsewhere which
has been extremely dark green, concerned this might make the garden too
dark in winter (not that I see the garden in daylight much in winter
anwyay!) Suggestions for varieties welcome, pref pink/red flowers for
hawthorne.

Thanks in advance
Sue

--
LittleSue

Berberis would be my choice very 'anti-mong' incursion :-) evergreen with
sharp needle length thorns .Our own grow happily behind a southeast
facing low wall and shaded by a trimmed Leylandii the berries persist
through the winter giving extra colour and if you are likely to be around
the Altrincham area you are welcome to take cuttings.
Derek