Old 06-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Minteeleaf

Default Two seed-starting questions

Pat Meadows wrote:

Two seed-starting questions...

1. How do you put small seeds in the little six-cell packs
(or whatever else you use)? Do you use a gadget for placing
seeds?

I shake the right number of seeds into a little glass
custard cup. Then I wet a pencil (ordinary pencil) and the
wet pencil point will pick up one small seed at a time. I
bought a little plastic gadget, but can't get the hang of
it.

2. How do you keep seeds?

I'm keeping them in their packets, but this isn't really a
terrific system - in the case of succession plantings, I'm
cutting a bit more off the packet each time (and
scotch-taping it together). Some of the packets will be
totally gone before very the end of the season!

At present, I'm keeping the packets in photo-pages in an
album - the pages into which you slip a 4'x6' photo. This
works fairly well. But I'd welcome other ideas.

Pat

I use long-handled tweezers to place seeds.

Minteeleaf