Old 24-05-2008, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default In this Corner Vinca Minor In This One Creeping Charlie

In article
,
" wrote:

I have spent hundreds of dollars and dozens of hours planting a shaded
area around my pergola with dense concentrations of Vinca Minor, only
to see the bed infested with Creeping Charlie. I thought Vinca was
supposed to choke out competing plants? After three years, I see
little evidence of this. Every spring , it's a tussle royal between
these two plants. After three years, Other than hand weeeding, is
there anything that will get rid of the weed and not harm the Vinca?

Larry

Consider PACHYSANDRA terminalis (Japanese Spurge). Try not to
purchase as it expensive and it can be pulled and plugged in if a
neighbor has a patch. We got a lot and our vinca is minor in growth
habits compared to PACHYSANDRA. Stands about 9 inches tall though.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org/