Old 24-05-2008, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] bop_pa@yahoo.com is offline

Default wheat berries

I've been using stoneground wheat and unbleached bread flour, half & half,
along with coarsely cracked wheat berries (cooked with an equal am't of
water so it doesn't suck all the moisture from the dough). I amend it all
with a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten, too. Have developed a decent recipe
over the years. I've used coarsely cracked nine-grain, too, instead of
cracked wheat.
I agree that once having eaten REAL bread, it's difficult to eat the white
paste that passed for store-bought! I also freeze the bread in its wrapper,
removing slices as needed; it keeps well and tastes freshly baked.