Old 25-05-2008, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Cuttings

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Indeed. As does whether it is worth doing! As I post fairly often,
I am not good with cuttings, and am a strong believer in layering
as a much better method for the amateur. It isn't always possible
but, when it is, it almost always beats taking cuttings hands down.

I spend my life taking cuttings Will have a go at anything and you'd
be surprised what will take 'out of season'.
I shove everything in quite tightly into a box (e.g. wooden wine case
sized) or my heated sand bench and just wait. I find that stuff roots
better for me if it has other roots around it. So i just put in a few
together and label them, some don't take but you haven't lost anything
have you?

Some things are better split such as herbaceous stuff where you ca get a
bit of the plant through the main root, with fine roots still attached.
Bedding plants and things with soft stems are better struck by doing
them as green cuttings, just pinched above a leaf joint and shoved into
grit or sand, even a potting medium if they are very easily rooted
(e.g.. Fuchsias, geraniums, petunias)

If pruning roses I'll take 8icnh stems and make a slanted cut away from
a bud at the top and plunge it into a gritty mix in a trench in the
garden or I'll put it into the sand box. Hardy or ripe cuttings don't
seem to need as much heat.

I would say try as you really haven't got anything to lose unless you
are trying to bulk up a special plant.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph