Old 25-05-2008, 10:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default High pH!!

On Sat, 24 May 2008 19:26:52 EDT, Joan wrote:

Course the one difference in my case is the pH out of the tap here is
around 7.2-7.5. So you may have to do more water changes than I. As long as
the pH is above 8.5 you can add lots of baking soda. ~ jan

Um....did you mean as long as the pH is below 8.5?

No, I meant above. As baking soda will only bring the pH to about 8.3-8.4,
it isn't going to drive it higher if you add a bunch at higher pH levels,
it will just improve the buffering.

Thanks for the response. I'm so glad to know your situation settled
down. My pond is about 3 years old this year too. Maybe it's the
"terrible threes"? Joan

Could be. How are your plants doing? That's how I can tell when my pH is
too high, the plant growth slows way down. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us