Old 26-05-2008, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kevin Cherkauer Kevin Cherkauer is offline

Default Can someone identify this plant / berry / weed

Thank you! American pokeweed aka Phytolacca americana indeed looks like it
was the creature we had. And you were able to ID it even though we
remembered some of the details wrong (e.g. berries are not alternating, but
radiating in all directions, and they were more dark purple, nearly black,
than dark blue, now that the pictures hav jogged my memory)!

These pokeweed pix look like our weed exactly (though ours looked a lot
healthier than the first one below):

http://www.terrierman.com/goldfinchonpokeweed.jpg
http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/pokeweed.htm
http://www.tela-botanica.org/sites/p...heses/Phytolac
ca/photo2.jpg

I did think it was quite pretty, but it had an awful spreading problem. :-)
It also had already gotten too big for the spot it was in by the second
year.

Kevin Cherkauer
Utopia in Decay
http://home.comcast.net/~kevin.cherkauer/site/?/blog/

"mleblanca" wrote in message
On May 25, 5:43 pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Kevin Cherkauer said

Anyone got any guesses?

Phytolacca americana?
--

Eggs

-There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.

I agree, Eggs.
aka American Pokeweed.
It would be pretty if it didn't take over the world!
Emilie
NorCal