Old 26-05-2008, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ignoramus7406 Ignoramus7406 is offline

Default COMPOST was: Is 10-10-10 appropriate fertiliser for tomatoes

On 2008-05-26, zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus22089 wrote:
I was a little turned off by the prices of fertilisers sold for
gardens (at home depot), but I have a bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer for
lawns, the sort that does not have any herbicides (ie, not a weed and
feed type, just feed).

Would you say that this is approproate for garden with tomatoes and
peppers and so on.

Thanks

Yes it's fine. (10-20-10 or 12-24-12 is more traditional for
vegetables) Don't use much or you'll drive the earthworms away.

I used 1 tbsp per bush, spread around evenly with 1 ft radius.

That should be fine. Last year, my peppers and tomatoes weren't doing
very well, except for the one tomato that was next to the compost pile.
So I gave them a little fertilizer and they took off. This year, I
bought a pick-up load of compost and tilled it in, along with my little
bit of compost. The purchased compost didn't look very rich (and it
doesn't hold much moisture), so I'll probably have to add nitrogen this
year, but going to use it sparingly.

I used shredded paper for a mulch around my peppers last year (junk
mail, statements, and bills) and the worms loved it. I had to keep
replenishing it as they pulled it down in the ground. That may even
have been part of the problem as the decomposing paper tied up the nitrogen.

I always used to use chicken poop for fertilizer, which worked great,
but due to neighbors snitching the chickens had to be eaten.

Has anyone tried composting lawn grass?

Maybe I should save up a pile of it from my lawnmower, and let it rot
for a year or something?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/