Old 26-05-2008, 01:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George Abbot George Abbot is offline

Default clover lawn - need advice

Our new Church (in Maine) has a very large lawn area on leveled, post-build-new-lot soil, which is not too good
(since the next addition will go there, eventually). It has spotty lawn at the edges while the remainder is
flush with clover.

My current plan is to leave the clover until it seeds, then mow it to about 2-3" and allow grass to start
establishing itself. I would do this every year.

I want the clover since it adds nitrogen to the soil, but am I going down the wrong path and is there a better plan?

In the areas away from the church proper where there is grass, it is spotty and separated by lots of bare earth.
The area around the church has better soil and is doing fairly well.

It is interesting that, as a beekeeper, I tried to plant a field of clover, but the grass took it over in about
three years, so I am thinking that the same might happen here.

GA