Old 26-05-2008, 06:32 PM posted to sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc
[email protected] plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com is offline

Default Optimal Strategy on Strawberries, missing only the winter plan

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

I have about 30 pots of strawberries for I can control the weeds by
having them in pots
and about 5 have blooms and 3 have berries coming but no bees or
insects are present.
Perhaps beetles pollinate the strawberries. I can monitor the
strawberries easily since I
daily have some maintenance on them.

Alot has changed since I wrote the above. The strawberries are doing
exceptionally
well, perhaps because I fertilized with nitrogen and also with horse
manure. So there
are about as many blooms as there are leaves. I am going to have boat-
loads of
fresh strawberries, provided they get pollinated.

I need to also get long sheets of steel panels to lay on the ground so
that I am no longer
having to weed between the pots.

There remains only one last concern for me. Last winter I dug holes in
a bed and set the
pots in the holes and covered the tops with straw. The strawberries
did well. But that is alot
of work, so I am looking for a better solution. Something more
compact. I wonder if I can
take the plants come November out of their pots and heel them into one
long bed, so that
I can start over the next year with fresh new topsoil and to break
apart daughter plants.

I need to streamline the winter storage of strawberries. Sort of like
what nurseries do to strawberries
before they sell them barerooted. Because next winter I should have at
least doubled the
number of pots from 30 to 60 or more and that is a big chore to dig
holes.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium