Old 26-05-2008, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default BBC Gardeners World

Fuschia wrote:
On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:56:03 +0100, Alan
wrote:

In message , Ed
wrote
What is. or, should be, the point of the BBC Gardener's World programme?

It doesn't matter what it focuses on because if it doesn't get a regular
viewing audience of a couple of million it will be cut from the
schedules.

That's right. I used to work in television (but not on gardening
programmes). Every programme has one aim and one aim only - to attract
and keep the maximum number of viewers. If it does that it will be
kept running even if it is utter rubbish (we can all think of
examples). If it doesn't do that it will be axed, even in the middle
of a series.

So it's indistinguishable from a commercial channel and should be funded
in the same way.