Old 06-04-2003, 07:08 AM
Steve Wertz

Default Inexpensive vegetable seed source?

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 02:21:55 GMT, (Terry
Horton) wrote:

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 19:58:59 -0500, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 22:36:57 +0000 (UTC),
(Victor
M. Martinez) wrote:

wrote:
Doubt it! peas, corn, jalapeno, green beans, and any legume would be fruit,
and bananas would not be.

I'm pretty sure bananas have seeds in them.

Bananas are a herb. They are the product of dormat/aborted ovaries.
You don't garden much, do you? You're batting 0-2.

Botanically bananas are fruits, as are seedless watermelons and navel
oranges. Lawyers and grocers may argue otherwise.

Seedless watermelons are a freak of nature, sythentically derrived.
Naval oranges - hmmm. Didn't they invent them on Treasure Island?
I guess that would make them a non-fruit according to Vic's
definition.

Either way, the banana tree is considered a herb, and the fruits from
such tree would be a seed of a herb, much like corriander or anise.
Think cashews, or even a cilantro plant bearing corrinder seeds.

I do stand by the fact that bananas do not have seeds, and that
bananas defy any fruitolgy.

-sw (planting a banana)