Old 26-05-2008, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Gardeners World presenter?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"endymion" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wittered on after
"endymion" wrote

So, who should replace him? Or should Gardeners World call it a day
and get the axe from the BBC? Lets face it, its changed beyond
recognition and frankly I only watch half as often as I used to even
when Alan was in charge and that was less than when Geoff Hamilton had
the reigns.

I too hardly ever watch these days, it can be interesting occasionally
but mostly it seems more interested in the personalities than the plants
to my mind.

Percy, come back, all is forgiven.

Actually you are right. I do not watch as much as I used but hadnt really
reflected on why. It is the personalities and lifestyle element. I
suspect thats why I asked my question. I dont want a " personality" or "
lifestyle" presenter. I want a proper gardener not a " designer" and I
want to see a gardeners magazine programme not a lifestyle programme. I
suspect my watching will get less if they do continue as at present.

I suspect nobody involved with the programme in the production team is a
serious gardener or plantsperson. That or it could just be they have to
chase the viewing figures and therefore don't want to alienate the masses
with a serious programme that teaches stuff, might tax their brains. Or
perhaps a bit of both.

I set myself up to watch one of the Chelsea programmes this week as it was
advertised as being the one where they were showing plants in the tent,
must have blinked!
I want to know the current Latin name, where they grow in the wild and the
conditions there, when it was brought into cultivation, by whom, the
conditions it needs in the UK... not "Oooh that's lovely!", I can see
that thank you.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Something which annoys me on many many programmes, is where we are being
shown something on the 'how to do' basis, whether it's a gardening project,
cooking, do it yourself or anything where we want to see 'how to hold a
hammer and where to hit the nail to drive it in', and what do we see? The
hairs growing out of some celebrity's ears :-((

Show us the hands camera man show us the hands. Which finger do I put on the
top of the nail before I hit it? 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or thumb?

Mike