Old 26-05-2008, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jacqueline Davidson Jacqueline Davidson is offline

Default Planting burr Oak acorn

"dicko" wrote in message

On Sun, 25 May 2008 18:01:06 -0400, "Jacqueline Davidson"
wrote:

Should this acorn be soaked? Scored? anything?
Thanks, Jackie

Burr Oaks sprout the season they fall to the ground. That usually
means in the fall. No special handling. Just poke them in the ground.
Red Oaks must over winter before sprouting, I put them in a plastic
bag with a damp paper towel in the refridgerator and some time around
March they sprout, at which time I move them to a tall pot and also
put that in the refridgerator.

However, I think that if you've allowed the Burr Oak acorns to dry
out, they wont germinate. You've got nothing to loss by trying though.

-dickm

Thanks for the good help!
Jackie