Old 27-05-2008, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default my baby trees, willow and catalpa,& burr Oak non germ.

Name some of the unique features of chinaberry that make it helpful to
humans. If you know any. If not, why?

You are one of those people calling trees weeds and know, nothing, about the
unique features of the trees.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 May 2008 08:43:28 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..

Since I'm relatively certain you won't be pruning or doing any of the
other things which you were directed to do, I beg of you first that
you do not plant chinaberry. It is a noxious weed and is taking over
many parts of the south, displacing the native trees.

Chinaberry tree is a close cousin of the neem tree. During the depression
people that could not afford screens in windows would plant a chinaberry
tree by the window. This kept the insects out. Also if you throw a
couple
of leaves from a chinaberry tree in your dog pen the fleas will flea. The
fruits contain a pulp with a poisonous narcotic, and children, poultry,
and
pigs are reported to have been poisoned by them The tree is by no means
new to the south just taking over. It has been around for a while.

Also a section on Chinaberry Tree, Melia azedarach. The tree produces
medicinal substances that are narcotic, and deadly to insects, especially
fleas and mosquitoes, Many trees produce medicinal substances that do
benefit humankind in many ways. The nature of potentially beneficial
properties of many of the inclusions in wood and bark are poorly
understood.
The saddest part of the story is that some of the trees that are called
weeds may have some of the most valuable substances. They are the first
be cut. The tree may also form tyloses in vessels. A good picture of
vessels of chinaberry can be found on page 53 of TREE ANATOMY by DR SHIGO.

http://www.discoverlife.org/20/q?search=Melia+azedarach

http://www.texasinvasives.org/Invasi...sp?Symbol=MEAZ

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=MEAZ

http://books.google.com/books?id=5b6...l=en#PPA181,M1

http://www.hawaiiinvasivespecies.org...ochure2007.pdf

Should I continue or are these reliable resources enough to satisfy
your ignorance?