Old 26-05-2008, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge Rusty Hinge is offline

Default Cuttings

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:
In article , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

So, bearing in mind that you snip from the new growth, when would the
pundits suggest I take cuttings from a worcesterberry?

Mine have reached over ten feet now, and I think it's time for some
serious laying waste - I have to have the light on in the kitchen, even
at High Noon innit.

(Been in three years this coming autumn, and only the first crop of
berries...)

Not sure of worcesterberry, if it's like a black berry simply bury the
tips and it will root. If it's like a raspberry it will make runners so
you can dig them up but if it's like a blackcurrant just hack back about
8 inches from the tip of the newest growth, take off the top inch or so
cutting just above a bud, then at the bade, cut just below a bud and
shove the cutting into a small trench filled with a bit of sand or grit
mix and bury it to about 3 inches or so.
Make sure it's not in the direct sun and doesn't dry out and if you take
a few at least a couple will have rooted by next year.
Failing that put the cuttings in the greenhouse or cold frame in a deep
pot, again push them in to about 3 or 4 inches in gritty compost or
sharp sand.

It's like - like - like a cross between a gooseberry and a blackcurrant,
allegedly. The unripe fruit on it just now certainly have that look,
though the berries are a bit small FTTB.

I may take some cuttings before the fruit ripens, even if just to let a
little light into the kitchen...

They were planted there before I began destroying the Lonicera
wossisname hedge to replace it with fruit, and not having the
wherewithal to purchase most of the fruit (thank you for that, DWP) the
original (autumn) cuttings have been given free licence. They are now
eyeing the contents of the spare bedroom.

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.