Old 27-05-2008, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
Link Link is offline

Default Recommendation to get rid of small yellowjacket nest

On 2008-05-26 18:17:21 -0700, Father Haskell said:

On May 26, 1:25 pm, Link wrote:
Hello,

I have a yellowjacket next forming under one of the eves on my house.
It's still small, so I'm looking for some recommendations to get rid of
it. I put up a bee killer thing (those yellow cylindrical things), and
it's caught/killed a couple, but the nest is still guarded by more bees
than I feel comfortable taking on myself. I *could* knock it down with
a stick, but then I'd be chased by angry yellowjackets. Is there some
liquid I can spray on them that'll kill them (like vinegar or
something)? Thanks!
--
-L

This is the nest that typically ends up like a
big upside down plate come summer? It's a paper
wasp nest, not a yellow jacket nest -- the latter
species builds nests underground, or in junk or logs
on the ground. Paper wasps are nonagressive,
do not readily attack, and are beneficial predators.
No reason to evict them unless they're located
very near human traffic. If so, take them down
with a garden hose.

Interesting! I googled for paper wasps and yellow jackets. The yellow
jacket nest looks very different from a paper wasp nest (which looks
more honeycomb-shaped than like the flat yellow jacket nests). They
nest is right at the apex of my gable-roofed garage, so I'm afraid
there's too much human traffic near it for safety (both wasp and human).
--
-L